Saturday, June 30, 2007

To Spill or Not To Spill?

Why am I so terrified to publicly reveal The Number? Why do women not want anyone to know how much they weigh? Why is that number so taboo and scary and shameful?


a cry for help

One part of me wants to be completely transparent and honest about this process because I want my generous sponsors to know exactly what we're up against, and I want them to be able to see my progress in black and white clarity along the way. I also don't want to perpetuate that whole weight-should-be-swept-under-the-rug-and-never-discussed thing. That part of me wants to shout the scary numbers from the rooftops--how liberating would that be, once it's all out in the open?

Another part of me is, well, a more typical chick who wants to keep The Number a quiet mystery. To be perfectly blunt, I simply don't want people to know The Number. I don't even like my doctor knowing The Number. Hell, even I don't want to know The Number! Can't I just keep my head buried in the sand, and can't my sponsors just trust me when I say that I lost x number of pounds at the end of the program?

Here's the cold, hard truth: If I were sponsoring someone in this type of fund-raising program, I would want a fully transparent view of the situation. Wouldn't you?

I think I need to reveal The Number. Once I do that, the rest will be easier. Besides, if all goes well, I'm going to want to shout the "after" number at the top of my lungs anyway. I might as well get the "before" number out of the way now.

Stay tuned while I muster up some courage...

6 comments:

Jacki Roberts said...

I understand the hesitation to reveal the scary info completely. I'm holding off going to my doctor for my annual physical until my number improves. And because, well, the whole stirrup thing.

Great if you choose to spill, but another option is to track it week-by-week, with e.g. a This Week and a Total Lost column. That's pretty transparent, and you can make the big reveal at the end.

Deb said...

Thanks so much, Jacki! I'm going to take your advice and do the "This Week" and "Total Lost" amounts. Great idea!

Unknown said...

I think Jacqueline's idea is brilliant!

Besides, as we've all learned from Monty Python, if it turns out that you weigh the same as a duck, it's all downhill from there. Why take the chance?

Deb said...

Ha! Good point, Dupperoo. After all, Monty Python is never wrong. Kiss the duppy for me!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Good luck mustering!

I love that picture of the cat on the scale too. That's one nice thing about being a cat--they don't give a crap what the number is!

Deb said...

Thanks, Crabby! I love that picture too. That's my sweet little cat, Ginger. She loves to sit on the scale and look nonchalant. Glad someone likes getting on that thing...